Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by LindaM49
Originally Posted by Dina
Beautiful quilt! I am probably not the best at answering your questions, but I will give it a shot. I cut my batting about six inches bigger than my quilt...3 inches per side. I make the back of my quilt that size also. It is probably a bit bigger than I need to cut it, but it works for me.

If you are going to follow the pattern, stitch in the ditch, you won't need to mark your pattern.

Oh, I just looked at the picture again. You already have it pinned. Good for you.

One thing I learned the hard way is that q quilt can get a bit heavy while quilting, and gravity wants to pull it away from the sewing machine. I now place my ironing board perpendicular to the sewing machine and let it hold up part of the weight of the quilt.

It looks like you are 'good to go." I find the machine quilting very satisfying. I hope you do too. (I have been quilting 2 years....sort of a confident beginner...)
Thank you for the great advice of using the ironing board beside your machine. I have been having the exact same problem...not enough room to the left so the quilt wants to pull through crooked and it does get heavy. I'm almost finished with this first biscuit/rag quilt...have to attach 3 more rows and have been avoiding it due to the problem that you described. Now I will get busy again and use my ironing board. :)
If you look at http://www.daystyledesigns.com/ she deals with setting up a space to make it easier to sew large quilts plus it has lots of other stuff. I hope it helps.