View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM
CAS49OR

Originally Posted by selm
Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Originally Posted by Coloradoquilter
I was at a guild meeting and saw someone's show and tell put down. It came after lots of "WOW" quilts and a person helping made a hurtful comment. ouch....
How was their show and tell put down? I'm wondering if your mistaking an honest critique for a put down. You can't grow if you can't accept critiques.
You know, some people may not want or need critiques. This thread had me thinking. There are so many aspects to quilting - the art of putting colors and shapes together pleasingly, the sewing, sandwiching and quilting and there's the technical parts of all of it. I know a couple of quilters who are basically artists first, but like putting quilts together. They may not care that their piecing is a little 'wonky' or full. I think they like the overall finished project. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that some like the art and not the technical so much, some focus on the technical(and may not be very 'artistic') while the people that can put all aspects together well are our prize winning quilters.
The quilts that aren't 'perfect' have just as much of the quilter in them as the prize winning ones. IMHO.
I think if someone asks for an honest critque they should take it in the spirit it is given. If they are just showing something they've done find something to praise about it.