View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Joan

Originally Posted by barnbum

Joan--she has been to the vet. We took her because she was urinating on a green carpet--and never giving us an indication she had to go out. This was when it was cold--so March? She'd whine, and since I'm a light sleeper--I was getting up every night with her. That was the only time she acted like a puppy--greeting me when I came down at 3-4 AM. We ran everything by the vet then--the vet could see for herself how she was, as we had to gently push her where she had to go there. Her urine did show some crystal development, so they gave her meds for that. She said sometimes when older dogs are given anesthesia--they flip a switch. You see--she didn't come out of it like they thought when the tooth was pulled--we had to get her the next day because they wanted to keep her overnight. So--that's the main issue here. She was a perky babe before that tooth incident. It's so sad..... I want to blame the vet, but I guess these things happen.

Thanks for further explanation, Karla. I just get so attached as I am sure you are to my animals. It does sound like the anesthesia might be to blame for changes in her behavior. Our vet has always pointed out the risks of anesthesia with older dogs. Molly has a huge wart but he said he didn't want to put her out to remove it because of the risks.

Hoping for the best....there is a seasoning sauce for dogs to stimulate their appeitite we bought at Wal-Mart when one of our dogs was "off their food".