Old 07-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Divokittysmom

OK, here goes, I am honestly nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.... LOL really I am! :?
I wanted to share with you the finished product....my very first quilt . It is for my darling daughter who is expecting baby #2 in October.
Everyone was so helpful in suggesting how to lay out the squares. I was going to do random but found out quickly I am NOT a random type of person!:lol: Thank you for all the suggestions and patience with all my questions.
I wanted to choose a very simple pattern for my first attempt. I have learned alot along the way!!
I know I wouldn't choose flannel again as it wrinkles like crazy no matter how many times I press it. And, it seems a bit stretchier than cotton fabrics.

I did the border on the bias only because it was soooo crooked when I got it on straight of grain that the tiny check pattern was at least 6-7 squares off from top to bottom. I also loved the look of the tiny check on the bias, to give it some pizazz. Bias wasn't the best thing to start with.

The quilting part is what I am unhappy with. I would take more time quilting it and probably wouldn't have used a feather stitch, SID would have been a better choice. I also thought the feather stiching would add more stability to the seams as it is flannel.The clock is ticking away and I have a ton more baby things to make in less than 2 weeks, (baby shower), so I decided to just let this one go.... but wish I could tear out the quilting part and do it over. :(
I used pale blue stitching for the horizontal rows and variegated green for the vertical rows. I finished the border by doing a double stitching around the quilt one in blue, one in green.

I backed it with the pale blue pin dot for the backing. The quilt measures aprox 50x60.

So here it is, my first quilt!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234671.jpe