Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM
melinda1962

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Well, I have seen some pretty machines here lately. I like the singers (a redeye is on my wish list) but am drawn to the older non-singer electric ones. I guess it is because I learned to sew on a Wizard that my mom bought with her first paycheck in the fall of 1966, when I was four years old. I still have the machine and got it out and cleaned it up today, and it is still just as pretty as then. And sews like a dream. Go figure. My mom made most of my clothes on it, and when I was 8, I started making some of my own. I wound up with it and used it for all my maternity and baby clothes and bedding too. It was the machine I used when I started "taking in sewing," as we say here in LA. I saw one similar to it on craigslist and decided to clean it up today. It looks alright for its miles and age I think.
Beautiful! Is that the original cabinet that it is in? Cool piece of family history! :-)
Yes it is. It is my favorite machine of all the ones I have. I was just admiring all the ones here and re-reading old posts and seeing folks reminiscing about their first machine, and had to clean that baby up.