Old 05-29-2009, 08:48 AM
omak

I think you did just fine!
This is a quilt, doable with a machine, but more enjoyable for handwork, I think ...
There is a tool called "Hexagon patties" ... you cut the fabric, fold it around the tool, take a back stitch at each corner, whip stitch the edges together, and then pop out the pattie and start your next set.

Here is a thread on this site that discusses the concept:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15/10846.page

Now, the deal is, if you use the tops off margarine tubs, etc. Punch a hole in the middle, then you can easily remove the patties, but you do not remove the patties until you have completed a round, to insure that your hexagons are secure, since at least half of your edges are on the bias.
You cut the hexagons at the finished size you are wanting the hexagon to be.
I wouldn't give up on grandmother's flower garden entirely, because it is a good portable project, your little hexagon patties, your fabric cut just so, some thread, needle, crochet hook (for removing patties), all in a decorative tin ... people will think you are soooo coool! And, just think how easy you will make it all look, and you will sucker some more in to doing just as you have done :D
Now, I will share with you what I always told my children:

As long as the activity is legal, logical, ethical, and moral, go ahead and try it just once. If you never do it again, you will know why. But, if you don't try at least once, you may always wonder what you missed.

I will let you decide which you will pursue <g>.
Like it or not, you did a good job, and your horizons have been broadened. Your mom would be proud of her child for attempting at least ONE thing that won't give her gray hair!
LOL