View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by ploverwi2
I have a Janome 6600P, and I have the dual feed foot. I also have what I thought is a stitch in the ditch foot. It looks just like the dual feed foot, but it has the piece of metal under it that I think is supposed to ride on the seam. However, if I put it onto the seam, then the needle hits far away from the ditch. What am I not understanding? Does anyone else have a SITD foot?
I have a Janome MC4000 which has as one of it's standard feet (G). I call it my edge stitcher. It has the piece of metal under it as you describe (the piece is in the middle of the foot as opposed to the metal guide of the quarter inch foot which is on the right side of the foot). I use the edge stitcher to do clean finishes (in garment construction, we turn under a quarter inch or less and stitch right on the edge) or any other types of stitching which requires following an edge and stitching very straight. I use is as a SID foot. I am not successful in stitching directly on the seam line so I do follow the stitch as close as I can. Glad to learn that this is better than following the seam.
From Simply Quilts, I learned to follow along the seam, I set my zigzag to the narrowest amount of zigging and zagging in the width of the stitch. They called it the wobble stitch. I've used it on several occasions and liked the look.

So this means that I can lose the guilt of not being able to follow the seam in SID. This board and the people on it are the BOMB. :thumbup: