Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Well, I have seen some pretty machines here lately. I like the singers (a redeye is on my wish list) but am drawn to the older non-singer electric ones. I guess it is because I learned to sew on a Wizard that my mom bought with her first paycheck in the fall of 1966, when I was four years old. I still have the machine and got it out and cleaned it up today, and it is still just as pretty as then. And sews like a dream. Go figure. My mom made most of my clothes on it, and when I was 8, I started making some of my own. I wound up with it and used it for all my maternity and baby clothes and bedding too. It was the machine I used when I started "taking in sewing," as we say here in LA. I saw one similar to it on craigslist and decided to clean it up today. It looks alright for its miles and age I think.
Melinda, that machine is part of your family! How cool is that! I have my mother's Pfaff 130 along with her coupon payment book where she paid $17.00 a month until she paid for it! She kept and used that machine until she died - she was so loyal to that machine! Now that I have it, I can understand why - what a work horse those old machines are!

Nancy