Thread: Fabric price
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Quiltinvaca

Originally Posted by ckcowl
location seems to really matter---
prices vary so drastically-

last time i visited joannes here i saw that they were charging more than the lqs --- for walmart quality or less fabric...seems someone mentioned to them that the cotton market was on the rise and decided to get a jump on it---or maybe they are just trying to pay for their new stores-
i really felt their fabric was much less than desirable-and over a dollar a yard more than the expensive quilt shop in our area.
i am so glad we still have a couple lqs' that have not gone that route- i can still get wonderful quilting cottons for $7.50 a yard up to $8.98
i think some of those (big chain stores) have raised their prices to ridiculous amounts because they send out all those coupons-
i will continue to keep my lqs in business and avoid the big chains with their shoddy quality, ridiculous prices and horrible customer service
Ain't that the truth? I agree with you about less-than-desirable fabric at JoAnns and Walmart. My feeling is that if I'm going to go to all the work to make a quilt, I want the fabric to stay colorful and in one piece. One of my first quilts was made with fabric from JoAnns about 20 years ago. That quilt is simply shredding apart and the colors have faded horribly. QS fabrics from 20 years ago look as good as they did the day I bought them.

Besides - I love to fondle good fabric!