Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM
olebat

While traveling, I check out all the Walmarts, grabbing a deli bite here, a drink there, forgotten batteries, and, "Oh, while we're here, let me just check the fabric selection." I must say that I am pleased that fabrics have returned to so many stores. At the same time, however, I note that their marketing is confusing. Items are grouped by price, so that there is a big sign over a rack proclaiming $4.87, or $1.50, or whatever the price happens to be. That was OK for the mark down/clearance selections. However, I find it disconcerting to have quilters select, satin's, flannels and fleece all grouped together. When I spy a pretty piece, I'm disheartened to learn that it is a dressmakers cotton/poly blend.

Trying to analyze why that may be done, the only thing I could think of was to save time for the person at the cutting table when re-shelving bolts. Is this an effective way of marketing? Are they displaying a stroke of genius following their disastrous decisions of removing fabric? Am I not being open minded about change?

If I want flannel, I go to the flannel section, if I am in the mood for homespun, there is a section for that, if I need upholstery, it too is grouped together. I don't want to spend time looking at all the other things in a given price range, especially when I have no idea how much the fabric may cost in the first place. Are they thinking I'll make an impulse buy when I see something in a certain area? It hasn't worked. Six Walmart stops, and no fabrics did I buy. I was tempted at one store. The clearance aisle had fat quarters for 75cents, and jelly rolls for $7. Looked like out of season . . . they were not store worn or brand discontinuance.

So, are your local Walmarts doing the same thing? Do you find it frustrating? Do we need to start writing to cooperate again asking them to rethink this strategy?