View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
janetks

I am 64 and just started quilting. My sister gave me a book one year for my birthday called The Quilter's Apprentice. It turns out that it is a series and now I have read 14 of them!! Anyway, the books inspired me to start quilting. I took a quilting class at a sewing shop and made a small attic windows quilt, then put it down for a couple of years. I decided to make a quilt like one my mom made in 1939. Hers is in really bad shape and is an appliquéd quilt. She hand appliquéd but I did it on the machine. It turned out so big that I was not able to quilt it on my sewing machine, so I took it to a quilt shop and the lady stabilized it for me by stitching in the ditch around the squares. I plan to bind it, then hand quilt around the tulips and a pattern in the plain blocks. I am really proud of it, but next time it will be a another small quilt :). I don't think it is ever too late to learn something new. This site will be a great help as will anyone else who quilts. Best wishes as you start!!