Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
MiniatureQuilts

Even old rescue dogs can be crate trained, but it takes a lot of time and one-on-one contact. Get a good book, some treats, coax your dog into the crate and begin. Sit right next to him/her, constantly petting, talking - occasional treat and keep the dog open (if you can quilt great, but I usually just read a book). Some dogs really take a long time to sit quietly even if you are right there and the door is open. All my dogs have become so crate accustomed, they jostle for who sleeps in it all day long with the door open and free run of the house. I have raised and trained Labs for over 25 years now with an occasional other breed dog. It is not 100% effective - not all dogs can be crate trained, but give it a shot - if it works, your house can look like mine - the cover of "Kennel Beautiful" instead of "House Beautiful" (a LARGE crate is part of our living room furniture). Be grateful it is not a 135 pound Saint Bernard with thunderstorm and separation anxiety (I have one). And Labs are Labs their entire lives - some have to be crated all the time even through adulthood. Or you could end up like me with a $5,000 Lab - what we paid to the fancy animal emergency vet hospital to save his life after he and a buddy ate an entire (one tiny scrap fabric remaining) size extra-large, LL Bean dog bed one day while we were at work and kids at school.......I have never had a Lab yet who was not a voracious chewer for most of their doggie life.

And crate training works FABULOUSLY on house-breaking puppies; dogs do have a natural inclination not to soil their sleeping area.
Nancy
http://miniaturequiltmaker.blogspot.com/
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235039.jpe   attachment-235040.jpe