View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
starshine

Originally Posted by GingerK
My sister makes the cutest rugs from polyester that we used to call Fortrell. She cuts the poly into squares--lots and lots of squares. Then she folds each one into a triangle and sews down the center, adding a second triangle about half way along and then a third and so on. Then she takes a piece of heavy canvas and cuts an oval or heart or whatever. She draws concentric lines on it, starting at the center and working outward. I think the lines are about 1-2 inches apart. She also finishes the edges of the canvas so that they won't fray. Now she takes that long strip of poly triangles and, following her origional seam, sews it to the canvas. The points stick up and make a lovely soft rug.
I was thinking you could make a rug, but was thinking make strips and braid them. This one sounds cute.
At one point in time I was thinking of taking some of my polyester and make little pocket of squares(sewing 2 squares together and leave a space to stuff, then stitch closed) and use leftover batting or polyfil from projects like stuff animal, or pillows, and then sewing squares together to make a warm lap quilt for residents in nursing homes. My thought was it would be very warm but still light weight. It is a project that hadn't moved from conception yet.