View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 PM
jpthequilter

Originally Posted by arizonagirl
Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by Peckish
Here's one that my in-laws like to tell...

When my husband, Wade, was a very small boy, maybe 4 years old, he was given a carpenter's set of tools for Christmas. This was back in 1970 or so, and the tools were real. Everyone was laughing and talking and visiting, until my MIL thought she heard a weird noise. She shushed everyone, but the noise had stopped, so they went back to their conversations. After a bit, the weird noise started again, and she shushed everyone again, but the noise stopped before they could figure out what it was. This happened a couple more times. Then, all at once, to EVERYONE'S surprise, the Christmas tree suddenly fell over! Sitting in the corner behind the tree with his carpenter's saw in hand was Wade. He had sawed the tree down.

What else would you expect a boy to do with his brand-new saw???
In the mid-fifties when my son was about four, somebody gave my son a playskool tool set. The saw was just a sort of punched out piece of sawtoothed iron. One day, I came into my living room and the neighbor's little boy who was also four, was sawing away on the wooden arm of my upholstered straight chair and had very nearly sawed through it.
The sight was so funny I just laughed and laughed!
I didn't have the heart to scold him.... It was a hand-me-down chair anyway.... I took that and the other arm off and re-upholstered it so it made a slipper chair for the bedroom, and I went to a Pennys store and bought another upholstered straight chair for $ 15!
Those were the days....indeed! LOL!!

Jeannie,

You handled it better than I would have. My son was always such a mischief maker. His freshman year in high school was a prime example. When you go to the school to pick up students each day they put out orange cones and make you drive around the out edge of one side of the parking lot and then direct out our of the parking lot the same way. My son moved the exit cones so that everyone ended up on the other side of the school instead of the exit.
That is the way it works....some kids are full of mischief - my brother was one of those... If it is laugh or cry, I would rather laugh! Jeannie