Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM
QuilterGary

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by QuilterGary
My fingers are sore. I bought 2 FW from EBAY awhile back and just getting around to cleaning them up. The first one was not to bad a couple of hours I it cleaned up and sewing like a champ. The second one was a different story. I used the Goop method and thought my DW had bought defective Goop. I rubed and rubed thought I had it cleaned then rubed some more. After about four hours the rags are staying clean, I didn't think there could be that much gunk on a FW. I put it back together wind a bobbin works great. I start to sew and it seems to run about half speed. Anyway I was hot and tired so I will let the oil soak in and try later. Any one have any sugestions as to the speed? I checked the brushes they are fine. I will look at it again tonight if it is not too hot.
Gary you need to get a flashlight, take the bottom plate off, turn the machine upside down and really check in and all around the bobbin, hook/race, everything. Those FW's were made so small and precise that a hair, usually it is thread, can cause them to really slow down or quit sewing entirely! Ask me how I know!

Nancy
The rest of the story: As I said it was hot as the sun set the sun kept shinning into the garage door. I kept moving back into the garage but ran out of shade. Well the hot sun was direct on me as well as the FW, being black the machine was hot to the touch and as said I was tired and I quit working. I latter thought that the heat might have expanded the machine causing the problem. I came home to night the garage was hot but the sun was not shinning on it. I pluged it in and it sewed perfectly. Another lesson learned. But my fingers are still sore.