View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 05:17 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

I dislike having something given to me with a Pay It Forward attached.

I have chosen to make sure that most of whatever I put into circulation does NOT have a PIF attached. What the recipient chooses to do - or not do - is up to him/her.

I just realized that's not completely true - I do ask if whatever it is - if it is not useful to him/her - to please pass it on.

Now please read the rest of this before you jump on my case!

I feel like there is a "catch" attached to something when someone says "Pay it Forward" - I don't rest easy or comfortable with the item until I have done a PIF. Sort of feels like a weight/debt that needs to be paid off.

I am totally in favor of doing good things for others with no expectation of an immediate return. I do believe that "what goes around comes around"

(Although wouldn't "casting bread on the waters" be considered "littering" or "polluting" now? - but I digress)

I also feel it is reasonable to ask for shipping costs. Many of us acquired "stuff" when we had more money/cash available to us - now that we are ready to "let go" of some of the stuff - the cost of sending it on is what holds some of us back. We don't have the discretionary income anymore.

However, the shipping cost should be asked for "up front" so there will be no lingering resentments/disappointments later.