View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Zhillslady
Banned

Not sure if you have a military base locally but if so just for future reference to everyone - you can take the info to the base office and they will attempt to locate the soldier. I did that with items from my grandfather. We live MacDill AFB.

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Originally Posted by momcpo
Good for you, don't worry about other people. Some just don't get it.
--------------------------------------
And most of the young don't get it either.
In de-cluttering, I found some personal papers of 3 GIs who had, on being discharged, given my ExDH (now deceased) to keep tlll they called for them. One I finally found after looking on the internet, and found his only child, a son who must be about nearing or past his 50s, and sent them to him as I found them. I did get thanks by email, finally, after the last big postal envelope, but at no time did he even mention repaying me the 30 or so dollars it cost to send all these military records and masses of his family members' pictures. Even a marriage lic for his parents. Well, I guess that I did it as a final favor to my ex.
The other two, unfortunately, had very common names and I finally forced myself to take them to the community shredding we have every year. Sad, there were so many photos and personal papers, but no way to find either one of these after nearly 50 or so years. Didn't even have any military numbers on them, that would have made it easier.
But should I find any more in the storage building still to be gone through from this guy's dad, I will send it to him, with maybe a suggestion that he pay it forward. But like I said, it's a last favor for my ex. RIP Billy Bob H.