Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 AM
IAmCatOwned

There are good guilds and not so good guilds. You just have to try them on and see what fits.

I started a guild about 15 years ago for childless quilters (i.e. women with infertility or lost a child and have no others). Most of these gals left other guilds because they would be depressed at every meeting (discussions floated around kids and grandkids, not quilting). I left 3 years later because I moved too far away, but the group continues. The group continues today and is a little larger (25), but the only rule that applies is no discussion of children, grandchildren or infertility treatments - you are there to talk quilting.

My current 'guild' is at the local quilt shop and is mostly a sales pitch about new classes, new products and a show and tell. It's fine and stays very focused on quilting, but I'm not really getting to know other quilters as most people leave as soon as the meeting breaks.

I was just in the process of starting a new group to meet at the local Borders store, but since those stores are closing, I'll have to rethink a meeting place. I just want to get together with a group of quilters, while we work on some hand projects, and gab about quilting outside of a quilt shop environment (I'm trying to go no-buy on fabric). So, if you find nothing that works for you, consider setting up your own little group. Nothing larger than 8. Once you have more, it becomes too complicated, IMHO.