Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM
barnbum

Neat story behind this one. After making Brick Trail http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-132920-1.htm I kept seeing the same pattern in my black and white splash design, so I had the fabric picked out and had started cutting strips, but something always bumped it down.

A wonderful person and co-worker, who is moving to Virginia from NY, and who upon accepting her new position, two hours later was diagnosed with breast cancer, came to visit a week or so ago. She loved looking at the quilt projects and was most animated about a scattered/random Black and White Splash I had done years ago. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-18929-1.htm. She said she loved the contrast.

So.... the only logical decision (and I think God lends ideas) was to make the next one for her. :idea: I text her to ask her favorite colors and she said they are deep red and bright yellow. More of those are worked into the quilt and it helped me pick a back. Binding color is still under consideration.

I have not quilted something this big (50 by 70) in years and years. But she's leaving in a few weeks, and to avoid hours of driving to a wonderful willing quilter, I decided to bite the bullet and try it myself. :shock: :shock: :shock:

So I bought the back this morning (after picking 12 lbs of blueberries) and had to wash it twice and rinse it three additional times to get the bleeding to stop.

I cleared a wall in the quilting studio and layered it all! What a job! But I think it worked well and will make the quilting less painful. :roll:

I'd really rather leave it there, let her see it, then roll it up and let her tack it to a wall in her new home. BUT, I won't. :lol:

So--here it is.... quilting will start tonight. I'll use a variegated primary color thread and a simple meander with loops and/or petals.

Backing--don't worry it is the wrong side!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235400[/ATTACH]

sprayed and batting added
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235401[/ATTACH]

sprayed again and top is on!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235402[/ATTACH]

another angle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235404[/ATTACH]

close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]235405[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-235394.jpe   attachment-235395.jpe   attachment-235396.jpe   attachment-235398.jpe   attachment-235399.jpe