View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 AM
MJONW

If I were just beginning, I would start with a small rectangular piece on the color of your choice, and simply start sewing top,bottom,side and side with strips of coordinating fabrics...what ever you like it's easy, fun, and you see results fast! The best part, is you can stop as small or large as you like!
Oh the name if this technique is "log cabin"...you can also make blocks, starting with a square for the center I might use 2"x2" when do as above ... When you have enough blocks, lay them out on your bed, for placement, (just to see if you like the looks of it), sew the blocks together (usually I do an odd # across and an even # down,ie3 across and 4 down baby quilt. Of course you can pit dashing in between the blocks to widen and lengthen anything! Just remember that you should make ALL the blocks before you begin sewing them together, because the very last thing you want is to HAVE to make another two or three or four or more blocks! (sadly, I have done this! Not too fun, but can't quit now)!!! Hope this helps you! Happy Quilting!
Mary Jo