View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter1
Such a waste. We have laws in Ontario prohibiting distracted driving, but stupid drivers do it every day.
There are laws on the books a lot of places, including where this tragedy took place. There are also laws against it in NY state where I live. I ride a motorcycle so have a clear unobstructed view of cars right next to me and what the driver is doing besides driving. I can't tell you how many drivers I see on the road EVERY DAY with cell phone to ear (Illegal here!) or cell phone in hand on lap texting away. It infuriates me to no end, especially when I can see they are not concentrating on their driving by swerving out of their lane, speeding up, slowing down. And the real kicker, none of this communication is necessary or an emergency! In the article linked they have the drivers text msjs and it was irrelevent, stupid chit chat. I think it is only a matter of time that car manufacturers will be forced to insert an electronic blocking device of some sort into cars which will force people to pull over and get out of their car in order to make a phone call or text. This technology has only become commonly available in the last 20 years or so and it was not the end of the world when we did not have instant communication available to us 24-7 no matter where we were. It will not be the end of the world if that happens again and I have a feeling it will save a lot more lives then the lack of access to instant communication would take. So sad. And especially sad that so many think it is only against the law to do this if they are caught.