Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

I only belonged to one guild, and overall I would say it was a positive experience. It met in the morning, and I wasn't working days then, so it was a good fit. They made quilts for children who were in the hospital, and sometimes for their younger brothers and sisters who were staying in David's House. This was similar to Ronald McDonald houses where parents can stay while children are hospitalized for long periods. The guild even made special commissioned quilts for each of the bedrooms, when a new building was built on the hospital grounds. I especially loved making quilts for David's House, and seeing pictures of the children with a quilt I had made. I was even talked into being President for two years, but by then the membership had grown to over 125 members and it was harder to get to know people. I'd say overall it was a good experience, I learned new methods, saw wonderful Show and Tell quilts, had access to visiting nationally known teachers, as well as attending their workshops. It was a great experience, however I had to start working full-time when my daughter started college, and they didnt' have an evening group.