Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 AM
BarbaraSue

I think joining a Quilt guild is alot like joining a church. You have to find what fits you.
I belong to two guilds. Neither are in my county or city for a particular reason. I did not want to join a group that is also linked to a larger group that dues are split for, and requied to serve in the quilt show that the larger group holds yearly.
The first group I was asked to attend from a friend at church. It meets during the day, and is a fun group.
The second group I recently joined because I wanted to attend some of the programs and workshops this year. Th extra for non-members for these activities was more than the dues for a year. So, I joined. There is a small group in this guild that belongs to forementioned one also.This group is seriously quilters with a funny bone. They meet in the evening.

Both groups have various ages in them, with various types of quilting. Both groups have ribbon winners from local and state fairs. Both groups have nationally known published quilters in them. Both groups have LQS owners in them.

Go with the idea that you will have to give in order to get in return. Meaning, you introduce yourself, (would be helpful to wear a name tag- make one from fabric and you will be entered into a drawing likely), and try to be an active participant. Smile alot and laugh with the group.
Bring something for show and tell that you recently made or need to ask help with. If that doesn't work, look elsewhere for a group.