Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
miriam
Power Poster

I still have an Elna that DIED in 1992. I hated to lose that machine. It took me until a month or two ago to finally duplicate it. I have tested a lot of machines in the mean time. I can tell you what I sure don't like. PLASTIC deteriorates. COMPUTERS fry. I do like all metal, too. I do like something that is easy to see the needle - no looking past the tension - save on neck strain. I do like some fancy stitches. I do like a good light. I do not like a machine that won't stop where and when I tell it to. I don't like one that wants take an extra step before it stops. I prefer an old fashioned button hole maker to a button hole foot - seems like less guess work. An old precision sewing machine is one that is made well and will sew well. I want one that will sew through some heavy fabric as well as light weight fabric. Yahoo has groups for a lot of different machines. You might go nose around on one of them and see what is what. Some times you can get a feel for what goes out on them. Not all old machines of the same make are equal. Some were used harder than others, some weren't much good from the manufacture. Some were good enough to rival anything out there today. There are a lot of people on the FW and the 301 band wagon. Good machines. But you might not like them as well as something else. One or two of the old Kenmore machines have some pretty nice stitches too. I have my preference for presser foot - I like to try that foot on different machines to see how I like it. DH says "Good tools don't cost you money they make you money." He has never begrudged my buying a sewing machine that cost more than any of his power tools. My sewing machine does more than his drill or his saw. If you buy from a private person spend some time checking out the machine. Get comfortable. Check everything you can think of to check. Do you want one you can work on if necessary? A lot of the vintage machines aren't all that hard to work on now that we can find service manuals on line. Maybe you aren't inclined to work on your own machine. On CL there seems to be people who sell a lot of machines. Some of them work on the machines and can do a good job and sell for less than ebay or a store and you can get a great machine.