View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by kwendt
The only thing on the box is a faint oval stamped into the wood says, Patented 188?2 or 7? then February xx.
Your puzzle box would have originally come with a Singer long bobbin machine - probably the VS 2 you mentioned - or maybe a 27/28.

Your puzzle box has the clip still attached which holds five long bobbins between the prongs. You can see it in the manual I posted earlier in the Style No. 3 booklet.

The weird looking round-bottomed foot is the early quilting foot.

Singer patented this box in 1889, which is the number stamped on the oval on the box no matter what year they were actually made. I think they were made for a relatively short time, but there were a few different collections of accessories that went into them.
Charlee and PParrot... thanks for the info. Yes, I see now from the downloaded pics how the long bobbins fit on there. Interesting. I have a 27 and a 127 (w/ejector)... so this should be cool to go with them. The parts that came with them were missing. All of the singers I have are either side clamps or slants. Obviously, these parts will fit (like Charlee said) all the low shank, non-slant machines. Cool. The other bits are for a tension system.... but whose tension, I don't know. Could be white, or early singer. I've started a tackle box kit of bits, pieces and parts for my Singers...