Old 08-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Ps 150

I just got done quilting my daughter's birthday quilt. Since it's a surprise, I've been working on it late at night, after she's gone to bed. On on of the last blocks I noticed that the seam was loose. When I went to SID around that seam, it came loose. I've applied a dab of fabric glue beneath the seam and whip stitched it in place but I'm not liking how it looks.

She loves butterflies so I'm going to add a few appliqued butterflies around the quilt, randomly, and one of them is going to cover that spot. Any suggestions on the best way to applique those butterflies in place? My DH and I agree it will look nice and my mind is made up to using the butterflies, I just need to know the best way to applique them onto a quilt that's already been quilted. I've appliqued in the past but it was on a quilt top or a foundation piece. With smaller pieces, I normally use fusible webbing but I don't want to use heat at all since I used a cotton-poly batting. Would it be better to use satin stitching, blanket stitching with a hand stitch or a stitch around the very edge of a folded under piece?