Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 PM
1000projects

I posted a few weeks ago asking about the Bernina quilt frame... well, I bought it! Some people have reported some problems with them, but I am very very happy. No more spray basting of quilts before FMQ. No more tired arms from moving a heavy queen quilt while FMQ. And especially, no repeat of my recent wrinkled-batting disaster.

The frame is sturdy, well constructed, and parts are readily available. Don't try to assemble without instructions, though!

The Viking Sapphire is a great computerized machine with a 10" throat. I got it a few years ago especially for FMQ. With the Grace frame, however, there is a problem - the Grace speed control and the Grace stitch regulator are not compatible with the Sapphire. I did 3 small quilts with the control on the floor, under my arm, and other very awkward places ... I was pricing various other machines (9" throat) ... then I turned over the foot control and yanked out the rheostat. With a single cable tie, it attaches as a thumb control just above the handle. See picture.

An added bonus to the Bernina/Grace frame - the storage shelf underneath is just the right height for toddler play time.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236711.jpe   attachment-236712.jpe   attachment-236713.jpe