Thread: selling quilts
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Cathe

They seem to sell best in touristy areas or in upscale art/gift shops. I have sold quite a few on ebay, but I don't try to make a lot of money from those. Usually, they are class samples (and I already made a profit from teaching the class) or I make them entirely from my scraps stash. I sew very fast, too. If you have to buy new materials or if you sew slowly, you will rarely recoup your expenses.

I do a lot of special orders now. Many of my private clients first purchased quilts or garments from my on ebay, so I regard ebay as advertising. I have sold a couple things on etsy. If you want to do etsy, you need to continue listing new things regularly.

You don't want to sell cheap. Not only does it undermine the value of what the rest of us do, but people don't like cheap things. I have found that I get more business when I present myself as "valuable" rather than "affordable."

On the other hand, I do a lot of sewing "for free" for friends and relatives. They appreciate it, and they are good word-of-mouth advertising. They are very well-trained. When they mention me or give out my card to potential clients, they always say, "But she's really expensive." :lol: