Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 AM
nickylsf

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Grayhare,

I picked up a 201-3 with a motor, whose voltage is incorrect for use in the States. It came over from Britain. When I saw the machine, I was so excited because it had an external motor, which meant I could toss the motor (take it off). I would have a Singer 201 that could be treadled (it was like finding gold). I paid $30 for machine that came with box of attachments for that beauty (its my favorite machine). I wait a bit for a cabinet, and then saw on CLs a free extremely sad cabinet with a treadle that looked ok. That cabinet had a Singer 9W1 in bad shape too. I basically picked up an extremely nice treadle that had been protected by a cabinet that was now badly damaged (the cabinet) with a machine that looked like it had been used as a parts machine. I took the cabinet off the treadle and waited for a free cabinet to show up on CLs. A couple of weeks later and a 45 mins drive in one direction, I had a cabinet top. I had to take the legs off this cabinet top since it was designed for an e-machine. I'm not into refurbishing like Glenn is, too much work. So, it was easier to find a top to switch.
So, for $30 I had a machine in treadle.

I say the machines have a way of finding us, just be patient.
Vintagemotif, very nice looking machine and cabinet! I recently found a 201, sans cabinet or treadle, but with an external motor. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Patience!
Did you post picks of your 201? Love to see it. 201s are my favorite Singers. They make the prettiest stitch top and bottom and are so quiet and smooth. And yes if it has an external motor, please toss (or keep in box) motor and start treadling with that machine. You will fall in love. :)
Here are the pics of the 201. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but it does not seem to be missing any parts.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236955.jpe   attachment-236956.jpe   attachment-236957.jpe