View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 09:30 PM
gaigai
Banned

We have a new addition to the family.

Paige is a ten year old German Shepherd. She has been with one owner her whole life. Her previous owner (don't know whether it was male or female) died at home. When the owner was found, Paige was still at his/her side. The owner had been dead for a WEEK. The owners family took Paige to the pound.

We got a call from a German Shepherd Rescue organization about Paige (her original name). The organization authorized me to pick her up. Evidently Paige has won the hearts of everyone there. The vet at the pound even gave me a big hug!

She is very, very traumatized. I brought her home and immediately gave her a bath. Not only did she STINK, her fur had dried stuff on it that I was afraid had come from her owner (think CSI) She evidently had a winter coat, but the stress caused her to start shedding, and she had HUGE chunks of loose fur. My dog and she were fine. The cats not so much! LOL. She was GLUED to my side. Literally. If I move an INCH, she was pressed against me. When my mom came over, Paige wouldn't even LOOK at her, she kept scooting closer to me.

We talked it over and decided that the best person to keep Paige is one of my sisters. I REALLY wanted to keep her. But because I work 12.5 hour shifts with an hour travel time each way, I take my dog to my mother's house when I work. Mom's dog is very elderly, in poor health, and doesn't like other dogs. It wouldn't be fair to Mom's dog, nor to Paige to have to switch back and forth like this. So, with not a few tears and heart pangs, because I already loved her, I took her over to my sister. Let me add that this is not my favorite sister. Well, my nephew Brandon (15.75 years, 6 feet) took Paige's leash and led her away. I drove home crying.

Tonight I got an update. Paige has attached herself to Brandon and they are inseparable. Paige will live the rest of her life being very well loved, and I'm sure will learn to be secure again.