View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 PM
mimisharon

Originally Posted by MsEithne
I can't remember not knowing how to sew (or embroider or knit). As I graduated from doll clothes to making clothes for myself, my mother taught me to always get a half yard to full yard more fabric than the pattern called for (if I used a pattern--she taught me how to draft patterns, too). Just in case I made a mistake. Of course, fabric was way less than a dollar a yard back then!

I never intended to build a stash and I never bought a fabric without a purpose in mind but when the project was done, there was usually just too much scrap left for me to feel comfortable throwing away. So now I have a stash and some of the fabrics are over 40 years old.

It has been stored various ways over the years, from a cardboard box, wrapped in a plastic garbage bag inside the cardboard box, in a wooden slatted crate and in plastic bins.

I've been going through all these old scraps with my husband, who wrote a database to catalog them. None of them are damaged, all of them look as new as the day I rolled each set up neatly and tied it with a scrap of the same fabric.

The only precaution I ever took with my scraps was to keep it in the main part of whatever house I was living in, away from basements (too humid in the summer) or attics (too hot and too humid).
I only have one thing to add here, y'all have covered so much and so well. HOWEVER, we most of us have walk in closets. IF your walk in closet doesn't have an AC outlet in it, don't store fabrics in it. They will mold, especially if you live here in the south. I make sure I open my walkin closet door every time I leave the house for an hour or more. The air circulates and I don't have things mildew, mold, or pictures that will stick together by doing this. I haven't found this habit to cause even a penny more to my electric bill but it sure makes me feel better about some of my ancient fabrics on the shelves in there.

When I win the lottery (do I have to buy a ticket to win?) I would like to add room the length of my house and 16 ft. wide to have all my sewing machines in, set up, my cutting table, etc. For now, I move one pile to another pile to finish the things I work on. God alone knows that I don't really mind moving anything as long as I can sew.... 8-)