View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 PM
oldbalt99

I buy bed linen from Walmart for my garndchildren's bed and as fabirc for quilts. Recently end of last year the store changed the packaging to material bags. They are very small, and no way will even the pillowcases fit back in to them.
I'm a collector so no way am I throwing the bags away. They have been sitting in a drawer. I have a collection of six. Saturday, putting off sewing the designs on my mother's recliner throw I looat my cup sweating on the dish cloth I use as a coaster, and bemoaned the moisture seeping through to my wooden table. Am on a very limited budget, and after paying bills have five dollars for the rest of the month, so can't buy proper coasters.
Thought about the board and the term mug rug, and thought is that what they are? I took the bags apart, dug out the pieces of batting I have left over, and thought how I could use them.
Used the scrape pattern for utility bags, with one as the front and one as the top, I quilted them and even used some as the binding. They are the perfect size. I now have three quilted coasters, but it took over nine months to consider the bags as material I could use. I'm not the swiftest mind in my family. Another way this site has enriched my life. Thanks.