Old 08-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Retired to Quilt

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Originally Posted by Retired to Quilt
Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Important Tip:
I just collected 25 Maple Leaf blocks on another swap. It is critically important to leave a 1/4 " beyond the points, or you will cut some off when you are sewing up your blocks. Just be really careful.
I just finished a swap on QB that included many blocks with outside edge points. Most of the ones I received have the points too close to the edge for me to add sashing wiithout losing the points. I am VERY disappointed! Each one of us MUST be sure there is 1/4" seam allowance beyond the points!!!!!!!!!!!
But if you follow the pattern and it comes out short how do you fix it, I mean how much should you add when you are cutting for it to come out right, I'm new to quilting and I follow the patterns but I notice sometimes there is no space and I do use the 1/4" feed foot...
Instead of cutting 4-7/8" strips, I just cut 5" strips. That's much easier than always finding the 7/8" marking. That gives me some extra when squaring the half squares.

After marking the diagonal on the lightest colored square, be sure to stitch a little less than 1/4" away from the mark.
When you square them up (I use a 6-1/2" square, couldn't do without it!), you will get a nice true 4-1/2" square. You place the diagonal marking of the square ruler on the diagonal (top side) of your square.

When sewing the squares, row by row horizontally, be sure the seams meet exactly. Being careful and precise should leave the 1/4" beyond the point at the edges.

There is a lot of math involved in quilt piecing in order to make everything come out as it should.

This is the best I can explain without showing you how to do this. I hope it helps. Good luck! :thumbup: