View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 01:10 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by eeraemore
Boy, I wish I remembered trigonometry...I hated that class. :)

Anyhow, I cut four half square triangles from square blocks measuring 4 7/8 by 4 7/8. And then I sewed them together to make a square. I was following a pattern in a book (Quiltmaker's Gift). I'd like to square up my squares, but it doesn't say what the finished size of the block is...

I've added a diagram here if it helps any. Each arrow is pointing to a side of the triangle which was 4 7/8 inches (before the were sewn together).

Can anyone tell me what the size of this block SHOULD be? It's somewhere between 6 and 6 1/2 inches.
Don't see what we're supposed to be seeing.

If the whole quilt is half square triangles, don't worry what you're supposed to have. Check about 5 or 6 pieced squares. Find the largest square you can get that is common to all. Remember to use a ruler that is giving you a diagonal mark from at least one corner. (didn't realize until the last couple weeks that some folks didn't realize a diagonal was necessary to trim a square.)

Trim your squares up to a common number, maybe 4 1/2". Then proceed with your pattern. Or simply trim down to the size you're told to use.

I flunked trig-----------and quilt math is simple for me.