Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Bennett

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Bennett
I've just been catching up from everyone's weekend haul. Such fun to see everything and know it's going to be cleaned up and loved.

My new job(s) schedule lets me have all weekend off (yay!) and I finally got out to clean up my Red Eye yesterday. I didn't expect her to be so shiny! (Posted before and after on the pics page). I can't wait to try treadling. Thanks for the tutorials Billy--they are wonderfully detailed, and I would never have thought of attempting to break down and clean a machine without them.

I also did some FMQ last week on the 15-91. :) I had attempted FMQ years ago on my mom's Huskvarna, but I wasn't really happy with the results so stuck to straight line patterns. Then I saw where people here have been using their vintage machines to FMQ, so I bought another foot and tried it out. It was okay, but not spectacular, kept having some skipped stitches and tension problems. Then I found a random darning foot that I had stuck in a box in a closet, probably because I had no idea what it was. It worked better. Then I found the information by Leah Day on FMQ, kept up my feed dogs, set the stitch to zero, and away I went. It was fun, and the stitch quality looks good to me. No snarls or skipped stitches on my little FMQ doodles. Can't wait to try more! If you're thinking of trying FMQ on a vintage machine, I say go for it.
Bennett,

Work work looks good enough for me! Next time I free motion quilt with my 15 in treadle, I will give this technique a try. Thanks for posting!
I was really surprised at how well it turned out. Before, I always had a few skipped stitches somewhere or would get a snarl on the back. I have top that has been sitting forever that I think I want to try to FMQ now and see how it works for something larger than a piece of paper!