View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Ps 150

Originally Posted by maktub
There seems to be controversy about this, does one, or doesn't one prewash fabrics?

And if you do prewash how do you prevent your fabric from pulling threads at the cut ends? At the moment I run my overlocker over the ends before I do wash fabric, but it can be quite a lenghty job

M
I think everyone has their own way of doing things. If you like that wrinkled look of antique quilts, then don't. But, I must caution you, dark fabrics like navy blue and black and then there's the reds, they're most likely to bleed into your lighter quilts so they should be prewashed in hot water and some vinegar to get the colors out. I know that there's new "Color Catchers" you can throw in with the quilt but I've never been one to trust new gadgets and gizmos. They may work but I'm sure there's got to be one quilt out there that they would fail on and it would most likely be one of mine! :lol:

Personally, I like to prewash and dry my fabrics because I find that even with prewashing, they still get a bit wrinkly when the quilt is all done and washed, and then I know there will be minimal shrinking, if any, but the colors won't bleed!