View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by donnajean
I am watching this post as I really don't understand if you can post quilts for sale for what you should get for them. I think the rules say that you can only sell items at 60% of their retail value. So, I don't know if & how that applies to handmade items. I have a number of hand embroidered quilt blocks & don't know if I can post them as who determines the "retail" value?

I do see someone posting table toppers for sale on a regular basis, but her prices are very low.

This means the retail value of your raw materials only. You can not ask for any reimbursement for your labor. Basically Patrice will guesstimate a rough estimate of raw material based on a retail value of fabric, yardage most likely used in the quilt top and back and cost of batting. If she feels the asking price is over the 60% of cost of goods the ad will be pulled.

It really is difficult to sell quilts or quilt tops unless you find the right venue. Quilts rarely bring what they are worth because value of the labor is usually based on the percepted value of overseas labor which is pennies on the dollar. People see hand quilted quilts for sale in big box stores and department stores for $50. We could not purchase the fabric for a quilt that cheaply, let alone the batting, thread and our time. Quilt making is a labor of love and a hobby, not a viable business. One can make money in quiltmaking, like professional LA quilters but even that is very difficult to make enough to live on.