View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 AM
k3n
Power Poster

OK - I've cut apart my sheet of Steam a Seam, having first taken a digital photo for reference and laid out these pieces in sets of each number. Then I've pulled some of my batik scraps out and laid them out like a palette of artist paints and I've made a start.

The advantage of Steam a Seam is that it's tacky so will stick temporarily to the background so I can fiddle about with placement. When I'm happy with it, I'll press with the iron right up there on the design wall. I chose the centre fabric first as it's so striking and then I'm working outwards, auditioning fabrics as I go by holding them up against what is already there. Once I choose a fabric, I press all the Steam a Seam templates onto it and cut out as close to the paper as I can get - bit fiddly this but doable with good sharp Fiskars! Then I peel off the backing paper and press in place with my fingers, leaving an increasing amount of the black background showing. This will be filled with FMQ later. And beads. Lots of beads! :mrgreen: :lol:

On the last photo, you can make out where I pressed lines through both centre axes, horizontal and vertical and across both diagonals. This is so I can space things evenly and seems to be working. I'm just doing it by eye and looking through the camera now and then. :-D

Steam a Seam cut up into applique templates
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238325[/ATTACH]

My 'palette' of fabrics - batiks, what else?!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238326[/ATTACH]

My progress so far - see the creases I pressed in for placement?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238327[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238319.jpe   attachment-238320.jpe   attachment-238321.jpe