Old 06-04-2009, 05:19 AM
blzzrdqueen

I know I haven't been around much, and I'm sorry. With the end of the school year here, I haven't had any time to myself. I haven't had any time for quilting, which bugs me to no end, let alone any time to get on here and post and chat and look at all the great wonders you have all created.

I didn't know who else to turn to for support. I've looked for ADHD messageboards, but they just don't seem right to me. So I come to you all, my quilting/sewing friends for some support and advice.

My 10 year old DD has had trouble in school from the start. She's always had problems focusing on her work, working alone, not disturbing others by talking, she constantly interupts conversations, takes hours to do homework when it should really take no more than an hour, and so on. I knew it was ADD or ADHD, but I thought with the help of teachers and persistance, we could work through it without meds.

On Tuesday I took Angela for her 10 year checkup. I told the doc about stuff above and she said it's definetly ADHD and that she recommends trying meds. She says all parents feel the same way about the meds and no wanting to do them, but then they do and they see a huge improvment in weeks. So with the last 3 weeks of school ahead of us, we're trying the lowest dose of Concerta, 18mg. She took the first pill this morning.

I'm praying this works. I do not want to have to go through a bunch of meds to find the right one. I'm also so sick of homework and effort being such an issue every day. I've struggled long enough and so has she.

I had ADHD growing up (I'm sure I still have it too) and I remember when I started meds, Ritilin back then, and my grades soared after that.

Does anyone have expereince with Concerta or ADHD in children? I'm interested in the stories of other parents and what they have had to go through.

Thanks for listening and being a support system for me.