View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Elisabethann

If you do quilting for others as a business, can I ask a few questions?

1) How long had you been quilting before you thought "Hey, I'm pretty good at this!"
2) How long were you quilting before you started to do it as a business?
3) Are you making the amount of money you need to/want to?
4) Are you a long armer or do you do it on your table top machine?

I finished a quilt a while back and having no experience machine quilting, had the LQS quilt it for me. I was not all that impressed when I got it back. I thought, well, heck... I bet I could have done a better job. So I started working on my kids quilts and you know what? I'm kind of impressed with my FMQ - for a beginner :) And I do think that I could do a better job than the LQS on that quilt I took in. Part of me wants to rip it out and try, but the other part of me just says to move on!

So... I am starting to think that pretty soon all the kids will be in school full time and I need to find a job. But with school vacations and summer vacations and sick kids - it is hard to find a job with such flexiblity. I'm thinking of taking this next year and really working on my skills. Taking classes etc. Is it realistic to think that in one year I could be good enough to do this as a business? I know some quilters and they have been doing it for years and years...

Give it to me straight ! I can take it!