Old 06-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Shelley

My oldest, now 25, was diagnosed borderline ADHD. We did not put her on any meds, at the Dr's direction. Our biggest problem was getting the teachers to not give her pop and candy. We finally had to change schools and were able to work with those teachers. LDD never did do very well in junior high or high school.

Now.....she's grown up, been through the Air Force, is in the National Guard, goes to college for Air Traffic Control, and has a bright future.

I have a sister, also an ATC, who is flaming ADD. She has been told that ATC is perfect for kids with ADD, but if you are a medicated ADD, you are disqualified for the job. That was 10-15 years ago, so I don't know if it has changed. Why it is a perfect job is that it's so much like a video game, and we know how all these kids can stay focused on those games.

I also know that I would be considered ADD. When I was a computer programmer (before Windows software allowed you to have more than one program running at a time), I would have multiple computers running in my office at one time. We were going through layoffs, so I'd go grab extra computers from the empty offices. Because I always had multiple projects going on at one time, I was very productive, and was one of the last hit in the layoffs (only the department supervisor was left in the end)

I think that we need to treat ADD as a 'gift', not a curse. By teaching the kids to go from one needed project to another needed project, they can learn to be more productive. I know that it has been helpful for me!