View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 08:49 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by stitchesbyLA
Question. If the blocks are gonna have sashing and a corner stone. Do I only use have of that measurement as the finished block size to figure the setting triangles. Since the blocks actually share half of the sashing etc. Does this make sense?
Originally Posted by MTS
If you keep them intact, and want your blocks fully framed, then you would take the finished white block size PLUS the finished sashing size to deterime the triangle sizes.
I did include that in the previous post. ;-)

Again,

If you have no sashing, then it's just the finished measurement of the white block.
If you have sashing, but are chopping off the end pieces, like EQ is doing, then it's just the measurement of the finished white block.
You can see in the diagram below how the pink cornerstones/sashing would be part of the outer edge, so it need not be included in the setting triangle.

btw I don't particularly like that look because I prefer the full framing effect around the whole quilt - the whole zig-zag efffect. And the more I look at it now, the more I think it's just not worth the hassle of dealing with it chopped off. So, ixnay on that. ;-)

Now..if you have the full cornerstone/sashing, then you need to add the finished white block PLUS the finished width of the sashing. That total is the number you use to look up in those charts for cutting the starting squares for the setting triangles.

Yell if you need anything else.

eta:
One thing I wanted to add - if you're trying to figure the size of a quilt with blocks on point, the number you need to remember is 1.414 (but 1.4 will do fine :mrgreen: ). That multiplied by the finished size of the block with give you the measurement of the diagonal.

So if you have five 10" blocks that would create a 50" top across if put in a straight grid, those same blocks on point would be about 71" across.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238398.jpe