Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM
quilt addict

I got a good deal this weekend I think. I will have to put pictures up later. But I got a FW card table but the top is in tough condition. I want to restore it but was not sure how to proceed.

On the top there are just a few areas here and there of coating left and it is crazed. The wood seems in good condition with just a small place where the veneer is gone next to the part that is removed. But the veneer is lifting just a bit around a good portion of the outer edges.

Should I take the whole top piece out of the wooden frame and then try to put a bit a glue with clamps on it before I try to refinish?

What finish would you use, shellac or varnish? I think the old finish will come off easily with a quick rub from steel wool. Should this be my first step?

I think I can just lightly sand the frame and legs and repaint with black. Although the black paint is not bad, just rubbed a bit on some edges. The leg brackets have a bit of rust so can try to clean those up too.

Glen I hope you don't mind helping with your expertese. I hope to post some pictures tonight.