Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
jljack

Originally Posted by hootnannie
Earlier this summer I saw a CL ad for a featherweight in NYC (Manhattan) for $123. and my curiosity got to me. I figured it was either a mistake, already gone, and/or misclassified. I emailed and got a response with a phone number. I called, said it had been his mom's but it was really hard to get any more info. Several emails & days later when I came into the city I was to call him again and if he was finished with a writing deadline, he'd give me an address. The whole thing was weird, so armed with DD and 3 DGK we set off on this trek.
The day was hotter than you know what and a woman my age shouldn't be able to sweat that much. When we got to the place I thought, " I'll get to see what a NYC apt. looks like inside. Up 3 flights we all went and when we got there, you could barely slide in the door. The place was packed so tight with STUFF, down the hall, up the walls, in every nook and cranny. I had found a true hoarder. Now, I have clutter and collect some things....now it's VSM... but this one wasn't on TV but "in the wild" as Charlee says. I bought the machine and hightailed me, DD, and kids out to the street, to sweat some more.
When I got home, I took a look and couldn't believe my eyes. Not only was it shiny and pristine but it was ready to sew (complete)with great decals all around. His mom must not been a frequent sewer. It's BD was 4/10/1940.
Wow...great deal you got on that. Can't believe it was snapped up within the first few minutes of being on CL!! Good for you!!!