Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Joan

As a retired Special Ed. teacher, I aplaud you for being sensitive to your child's needs and taking an active role in helping her.

Medication works but it is important to monitor as the dosages sometimes they need to be adjusted. (and at the present time, there are several different drugs that are being used) Find out how long it takes the meds to kick in as well so you can give her the medication at the appropriate time before school.

Never forget that you are child's best advocate and don't hesitate to talk to her teachers and let them know "how" your child works best. A sensitive teacher (one who allows for individual differances in children--ie. lets them walk around after ten minutes of work, allows them to "play" with a fidget (spiked ball--there are lots of differant kinds) for the calming effect it gives them, allows them to sit on a large ball instead of a chair, etc.) can make all the differance in the world.

As it has been pointed out, ADHD adults can become dynamic, high energy workers who can make their ADHD work for them not against them. We had a Speech Therapist with ADHD who was incredible---she could get lots done and focused well (was busy all the time, I might add)And, you should have seen her with all our really "hard" children! Wow, let's just say I learned a lot from her.

Don't despair, embrace the ADHD---you're doing a great job and let your daughter know she is doing well, too! Everyone one learns differently and she will learn strategies for dealing with the ADHD.