View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
qbquilts

Originally Posted by Rose L
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Our LQS has only raised the prices on the fabrics that are new coming in but the next city over I notied last week her new fabrics are $12 so she's raised the older still in stock up to the same price. I will not buy from her aaain. I understand the prices went up on cotton so they have to raise but that bolt you bought 6 months ago did not go up in costs.
My LQS has done the same thing and she hasn't even gotten in any "new" fabrics. I didn't buy from her when they were $8 a yard and I sure am not going to buy from her now. Wholesale fabric does not cost near what is being charged and I find price gouging to be very distasteful. I won't shop there anymore.
On average, most retail establishments (quilting or other) charge a retail price of double the wholesale price. I highly doubt she is price gouging. I'm sure her overhead (what the difference between wholesale and retail goes to) has gone up. It's also possible that she has eaten some prior wholesale price increases and is now at the point where she can't absorb that increase any more.