View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 AM
jpthequilter

Originally Posted by SUZAG
I would love to make things and sell them but I am afraid that the smoke smell would linger. I would pre-wash my fabric and then wash again when finished and put into a large zip lock bag. I've heard storing things in plastic bags isn't a good thing to do either. Should I just give up on my ideas and only do things for myself?
In your climate, you can get the fabric very dry in the dryer, let it cool, and store it folded in a very roomy large plastic sealed bag. You probably will not plan for it to be in there for a long time, but it will keep it fresh and clean.
I have had some quilts in large roomy plastic bags for over a year, some longer, with no bad results.
It is certainly is better than letting smoke smell get into the fabric, because trying to remove the smoke smell, could be harder on the fabric.
It is moisture in the fabric sealed inside a confined bag in a warm humid climate that can do the damage.,
After all - archarologists have found bits of fabric several thousands of years old, that have been in a sealed dry place in a dry climate - like your house inthe winter time.
Jeannie