View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 AM
barnbum

Hi Ruth! I have one ragged flannel book I only use for getting measurements. The patterns are more complicated than my simple stuff. I cut all my flannel up into 7 inch squares, and rectangles so two make one square. I wanted to make a change, but decided against it since I want to be able to use any leftovers for the stash to whip one up in a hurry when needed.

Every piece is flannel--they vary in softness. I get it at all different places--but mostly Joannes--who seems to be getting more and more. :D And there's a fabulous Mennonite shop that has a whole wall of it--even cheaper than Joannes!! I love shopping at the Mennonite shops--there are several around here--I could easily visit 3 in a day. I bought some batiks for under $6 a yard this week!!

The middle is Warm and Natural batting. It's cut smaller--5 and 3/4" and is sandwiched between two flannel squares. The seams are 1/2". I wrote the directions up for how I do it...maybe I should post them on the main page? I'd love to give them to anyone who'd like them, but I want to do it in the right place.

Oh--important step--once all the squares are done--I very carefully lay them out in an organized random design. :wink: It takes awhile for me to be happy with it. Then I take a picture with a digital camera--and print it off. I pick the squares up by rows--labeling each with a pinned on paper. I stack the rows in order--label each row on the picture--hang the picture right next to my sewing machine--and sew the rows together. With the two sided one I sewed the rows together as I went--mind boggling.

The beauty of a ragged flannel is I don't have to pay to have them quilted. :wink:

Oh someone asked about special scissors to rag them--I just use regular scissors-- I used to only be able to rag three rows at a time--but now I can go forever. My thumb must be in great shape. :D