View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM
CAS49OR

Originally Posted by SUZAG
I would love to make things and sell them but I am afraid that the smoke smell would linger. I would pre-wash my fabric and then wash again when finished and put into a large zip lock bag. I've heard storing things in plastic bags isn't a good thing to do either. Should I just give up on my ideas and only do things for myself?
Do you smoke where you sew? I saw someone else ask that. Smoke does permeate clothes, and some people are highly intolerant or even allergic to it. If there are particles in the clothing, putting it in a ziploc bag would just seal it in (even after washing). I have read that you can put newspaper in the bag, or non-activated charcoal (found at the drug store) in there, or even put the cloth in the freezer. All of the above helps to remove odors.

I think I would just sew in one room, and go out for a smoke break when necessary.

My friend has cats. She thinks it is cute when her cats come to "visit me" even though she knows I am allergic. The same principle would work. Keep the cats out of your sewing room if you know someone might buy what you sell, or come to visit.