Thread: Charity Quilts
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
amma
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I'm sorry but I dont agree, A local church makes quilts for the homeless. Every Tuesday they get together in a donated building, bring sewing machines and cutting mats. They take donated clothing cut them into large squares, using donated stained blankets for batting and sometimes donated batting, they make quilts. The clothing is usually ripped or stained, those parts are cut away and not used. The Homeless shelter in Indy is very grateful for these ugly non perfect quilts. And from what I understand those that sleep in the ally are grateful also. The things we find unsatisfactory or ugly is a treasure to someone living out of a shopping cart. So never think that your quilt cant be loved or needed just because the fabric didnt come from the LQS, or because the stitches are uneven, or they simply dont match. Charity is giving to those in need, not giving to those that are picky and could go to the store and buy one if needed, IMHO.
I don't think bearisgray is talking about scrappy quilts, made out of good pieces of used clothing. Many of us find these to be quilts that are beautiful, last long and wear well :D:D:D